A man faces dozens of charges after police alleged he possessed weapons and had instructions to make bombs, posing a ‘significant threat’ to the community.
An Adelaide man facing firearm offences has been slapped with more serious charges related to extremist material.
The 24-year-old from Findon, in Adelaide’s west, was charged with 10 counts of possessing information for terrorist acts and 11 counts of possessing instructions to make an explosive device on Wednesday, when he fronted Adelaide Magistrates Court and was denied bail.
His alleged offending came to light after an investigation into ideologically-motivated violent extremism by the Joint Counter Terrorism Team.
The defendant was previously charged by SA Police for the alleged illegal manufacture and possession of firearms.
He now faces a total of 31 charges.
The maximum penalty for each of the man’s most recent charges is seven years imprisonment, if he is found guilty.
In a statement, Australian Federal Police (AFP) and SA Police assured the public there had been no threat to their safety during the investigation.
AFP Assistant Commissioner of Counter Terrorism Scott Lee said every terrorism-related offence and potential threat to the community was taken “very seriously”.
“It’s alleged the man possessed weapons and had instructions for the manufacture of explosive devices, which poses a significant threat to the Australian public,” he said.
The man is due to reappear in court in March.
Denial of responsibility! Vertical Lobby is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – firstname.lastname@example.org. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.