Medical Heat Alert issued in Oklahoma City metro area after EMSA treats residents suffering from heat-related illness
OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – EMSA issued its fifth Medical Heat Alert of the summer on Friday after responding to multiple heat-related illness calls in the Oklahoma City metro area.
EMSA paramedics treated five people for heat-related illness as of 7:30 p.m. Friday.
Officials with the ambulance service ask that people take the following precautions when outside over the next several days:
- PRE-HYDRATION is key in preventing heat-related illness. Drink plenty of water or electrolyte replacement drinks several hours prior to and during long exposure to the summer heat.
- Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing and a wide brimmed hat if working outdoors and take plenty of shade breaks.
- No alcohol or caffeine.
- If you do not have air conditioning, find a cooling station or public space (such as libraries or malls) during the day.
- Don’t limit your use of air conditioning.
- Use the buddy system if working outdoors and check on elderly neighbors.
- Keep a cell phone on you at all times when outdoors, including walking, running daily errands, yard work or sports and physical activity.
Medical Heat Alerts are issued when paramedics respond to five or more heat-related illness calls in a 24-hour period.
The Heat Alert will remain active until the temperatures and heat-related call volume decrease significantly.
The 4 Warn Forecast for the next several days is as follows:
Denial of responsibility! Vertical Lobby is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – firstname.lastname@example.org. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.